Proficiency Tests will be held at Holy Cross High School on Saturday, March 2, 2019. Below is the schedule:
Algebra - 10:00 -11:30am
World Languages - Spanish & Italian: 8:30 -10:00am
Please register for the tests here.
Note: Only students who are taking a full-year course in the above subjects are encouraged to take these tests.The purpose of these tests is to determine whether the student should be given credit for the given subject and advance him/her to the second year. For example, students who will be given credit for Algebra I will be placed in Geometry next Fall.
Should a student not be able to attend on the above date because of illness or other reasonable excuse, please contact Mrs. Parks at email@example.com The makeup date is to be determined.
Proficiency Test in Algebra
This exam should be taken only by a student who is presently enrolled in a full‑year course in Algebra I.
When the student arrives for the test, he/she should be able to:
1. State the topic he/she is presently covering.
2. State the name, edition, author(s) and publisher of the text book.
The test consists of two parts: 1. multiple choice questions and 2. a set of problems where work must be shown. Please note:Students will be allowed to use calculators.If you wish to use a calculator, please bring it for the test.
Topics covered include:
1. Operations with signed numbers; order of operations; absolute value.
2. Operations with monomials, polynomials, and rational expressions.
3. Laws of exponents.
4. Solving first degree equations and inequalities, and absolute value equations.
5. Graphing on the number line.
7. Solving quadratic equations by factoring.
8. Solving rational equations.
9. Graphing linear equations; slope.
10. Solving systems of equations.
11. Solving simple word problems.
12. Simplifying roots.
The student is not expected to have covered all of the above topics in school by the testing day.Given a problem(s) dealing with a topic which has not been discussed in school, the student should note this fact under the problem.The material selected for the test has been chosen to accommodate the sequence of topics in various textbooks.