Fauth's Big Night Leads Holy Cross Past Kennedy

by Mark Jaffee, The Zone, Waterbury Republican-American

It was a night to remember for Holy Cross High senior Jameson Fauth. Not only did the wide receiver score the first varsity touchdown of his career, he caught two others to lead the Crusaders to a 35-14 win over Kennedy on Thursday night at Municipal Stadium’s Ray Snyder Sr. Field.

Fauth caught touchdown passes of 47, 39 and 23 yards from junior quarterback David Kacpryzski to help the Crusaders (2-0) to a 35-0 halftime lead.

“Jameson has done a great job for us,” said Holy Cross coach Mike Giampetruzzi. “I was waiting for him to have a break-out game.”

Fauth gave all the credit to Kacpryzski, in only his second career start. “It is an unbelievable feeling,” said Fauth. “He made great reads and knows exactly what he is doing out there. He did a great job of executing the plays.”

Holy Cross junior running back Thomas Ligi scored on a 10-yard TD run and senior Mahkai Wilson’s PAT kick made it 7-0 in the first quarter.

“Thomas is a quiet leader and leads by example,” said Giampetruzzi. “He plays hard all of the time.”
On the Crusaders’ second possession, Kacpryzski found Fauth on the right sideline and Fauth made an over-the-shoulder catch for a score and a 13-0 edge with 7:11 left in the first quarter.
Holy Cross sophomore Marques Campbell scored on a 4-yard TD run and Kacpryzski threw a two-point conversion to Wilson for a 21-0 edge.

“After the first one, I felt fantastic and said, ‘Why not go for more?’” said Fauth.The second touchdown was a thing of beauty. Fauth snagged a screen pass over the middle with his right hand and cradled it before sprinting down the middle of the field for a 39-yard score and a 27-0 edge with 8:50 left in the half.

“I just got my eyes on the ball, knowing that good things could happen,” said Fauth.

Holy Cross Athletics

“I just looked to the end zone. On the third touchdown, David threw the ball in a great location in the back corner of the end zone and I was fortunate to be able to keep my two feet inbounds.”
Fauth ended the scoring with Kacpryzski’s third TD pass with 6:05 and Ligi’s two-point conversion upped their margin to 35-0.

It stayed that way until the final seconds of the first half when Holy Cross moved the ball to the Eagles’ 18-yard line with 16.1 seconds left.

Holy Cross called a timeout, but before the two teams could line up for a play. Kennedy coach Chris Sarlo walked across the field with many of his players behind him and to the locker room.

Moments later, the game referee said that both Sarlo and Giampetruzzi agreed to end the half, but would resume the second half, leaving everyone wondering what had happened. Afterward, Sarlo said he felt his team was being shown up.

“They (Holy Cross) had proved they can move the ball with their offense and didn’t need us (out there),” said Sarlo, in his 17th season as head coach. “I felt they were making us look bad. They called two timeouts with less than 40 seconds left in the half and up 35-0. Anyone who understands football, it’s a basic issue of unsportsmanlike (behavior). I took my kids off the field because I felt they were being shown up. I’m an advocate for my kids.”

After the game, Giampetruzzi chose to not comment on Sarlo’s action.

Kennedy quarterback Dereck Ledee scored two 1-yard touchdowns, in the third and fourth quarters.


Read More News