Dear Holy Cross Community,
As COVID-19 or Coronavirus continues to spread, I want to make our school community aware of the steps being taken to keep our students and staff healthy and safe.
Resources & Information
Right now, Holy Cross High School is working closely with the City of Waterbury and our on-site nurse. Theresa Gumpert to develop best practice protocols for our school. Additionally, we continue to follow the advice of the Connecticut Department of Public Health and the Center for Disease Control (CDC). I invite you to refer to information on the following websites to keep yourself informed:
Connecticut State Department of Public: https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Public-Health-Preparedness/Main-Page/2019-Novel-Coronavirus
Centers for Disease Control (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html
City of Waterbury Department of Public Health: https://www.waterburyct.org/health
- Posters will be placed in all common areas reminding students to wash their hands thoroughly and regularly;
- We have foaming hand sanitizer dispensers in all classrooms and common spaces
- We have supplies of liquid hand sanitizers supplied throughout the building, particularly where there are no foam dispensers
- Custodial and cleaning staff remain vigilant in cleaning all areas including high touch traffic points such as handrails, lunch tables, chair seats, door handles and light switches
- We will provide disposable wipes for use on various unique surfaces, including things like communally used tech equipment
Personal Health & Hygiene
In addition to the previously issued health precautions and preventive measures (all of which can be accessed on the CDC and CDPH websites above), please keep the following in mind:
- Experts are currently encouraging anyone who did not get a flu shot this season to please get one now;
- If you are not feeling well, stay home. This certainly applies to any instance where you have a fever or experience other flu-like symptoms. Even if you do not have a fever, but are not feeling well, please stay home.
Regular School Activities & Events
- In conjunction with local health officials, we are closely monitoring all events both on and off school grounds and will err on the side of caution if the need to cancel an event should arise.
- As of this writing, all currently scheduled events and activities occurring on Holy Cross High School's premises will proceed as planned. (One off-site event involving our students - a student leadership conference sponsored by the CT Association of Schools at a convention center - has been postponed). In all instances, we will keep our students, families and communities advised of any changes, cancellations or postponements.
- It is entirely possible that future events, activities, or meetings will need to be cancelled. We will again rely on guidance of experts as well as directives from authorized parties or agencies. We will also consider factors such as:
(1) the relative risk of the activity in question;
(2) the relative risk of the location of the activity including travel factors associated with the event;
(3) involvement in the activity by uniquely susceptible populations; and/or
(4) ability to lessen the potential risk of exposure
- We will work closely with local and state health officials and follow any directives as well as best practices regarding classes and normal school activities.
Individual Travel/Warning Level 3
The following countries and regions are currently designated as a Level 3 Avoid Nonessential Travel by the CDC:
- China (this does not include Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan)
- South Korea
Consistent with CDC Guidelines, all non-essential travel to any country or region in the above Level 3 category should be cancelled or deferred,
If any Holy Cross High School community member - student, teacher or staff - has traveled or will travel to a Level 3 country, Holy Cross High School will require that the individual self-quarantine for 14 days upon return to the United States as a condition of their return to Holy Cross High School. Again, it is recommended that all travel plans to Level 3 countries or regions be cancelled. Individuals planning to travel should advise their Guidance Counselor, the Principal or the school nurse of their intent to do so prior to traveling.
This is a fluid and ever-changing environment. The health and safety of our students and staff are our primary concerns. Thank you for your attention, patience and cooperation.
Dr. Thomas C. Pellegrino, President