Administrators, alumni, parents, students, faculty, staff and friends gathered together on Thursday, November 21st to celebrate the accomplishments and exemplary character of the inductees into the Crusader Hall of Honor.
"It was a great night to be a part of the Holy Cross family," said Dr. Thomas C. Pellegrino, President, "As we welcomed our newest inductees and honorees, we were reminded of the passion, intelligence and yes - humor - that is in our DNA."
Founded in 2016, the Crusader Hall of Honor is comprised of five awards. The 2019 inductees include:
- Mrs. Marissa Follo Perry '03, recipient of the Crusader Award, honoring an alumnus/a who distinguished himself/herself in co-curricular activities including athletics, arts and humanities during his/her time at Holy Cross
- Mrs. Kristen Jacoby '85, recipient of the Saint Andre Bessette Award, honoring an alumnus/a who distinguished himself/herself in the greater community in life after high school
- Brother Jerome D. Donnelly, C.S.C., Mr. Jerry Ciarleglio '72, Mrs. Denise M. Marcella, Ms. Clare Matasavage and Brother John R. Paige, C.S.C., recipients of the Blessed Father Basil Moreau Award,honoring a coach, teacher, administrator or staff member who made significant contributions to the lives of the young people they encountered during their years at Holy Cross
- Attorney William L. Stevens '73, recipient of the Saint Marguerite Bourgeoys Award, honoring our loyal Holy Cross friends who made a significant impact on the school community through their commitment and dedication
- Members of the 1989 Holy Cross Varsity Softball Team, recipients of the Green and Gold Award, honoring teams that have brought respect and honor to Holy Cross High School because of their outstanding accomplishments while in high school
Other accomplishments and recognitions were celebrated at this event:
- Long-time Art teacher and recent retiree, Michael Marseglia, was honored for his four decades of service.
- Science teacher, Sarah Ciarleglio '08, was recognized as Holy Cross's Educator of the Year.
- The Lynch family – Jeff '77, Liz, Connor '13, Devin '15, Tim '16 and Brendan '18 – received the Father Francis Grogan Service Award which honors an individual(s), from our school community for his/her loyal and dedicated service to Holy Cross.
- The 2018-2019 Boys' Swimming Team was honored for their State Championship win last spring.
"Each of the honorees last night described what Holy Cross had given them," said Kevin McSherry '75, President of the Holy Cross High School Board of Directors. "The gift they received at Holy Cross has carried them through their lives and shaped their successes. The descriptions of the impact of the Holy Cross Family on each of the honorees generated a powerful energy at the dinner."
"Having our students in attendance made the event even more special," said Dr. Pellegrino. "Their presence reminded us of the power of past generosity, combined with an ongoing responsibility we all have to make sure future Crusaders can continue to access this wonderful education. Jerry Ciarleglio '72 expressed it the best - many families simply cannot afford the cost of tuition, so how can we help them? The spirit of the room and the amazing acceptance speeches give us much to look forward to."This year, Holy Cross was proud to officially unveil the Wall of Honor that contains a listing of all Hall of Honor inductees since its inception in 2016. Monsignor Thomas Ginty '76 blessed the wall at a special dedication ceremony.
Holy Cross would like to thank its sponsors, Powerstation Events, McSherry Law Office, Bruce Bennett Nissan and Porzio Chiropractic Center for their support of the 2019 Crusader Hall of Honor. The school community is looking forward to seeing everyone again on March 21, 2020 for the Green and Gold Gala.