Holy Cross High School celebrated its 46th Commencement Exercises on Sunday, June 4, 2017. Diplomas and special awards were distributed to the Class of 2017. Heartfelt speeches and parting words were shared by Board members, administrators, students and special guests.
"Take a moment to visualize all that you have achieved and appreciate how far you have come," said Board President, Jeffrey Fryer '87. "In the end, it's not just about your class rank. It's not about the grades you earned. It's about everything you've experienced in your four years here as a Crusader."
Connecticut State Representative – 71st General Assembly District and Holy Cross parent, Anthony D'Amelio articulated that Holy Cross holds a special place in his family. His children are Crusader alumni and have gone on to achieve personal and professional successes. "Their successes started right here at Holy Cross," said Mr. D'Amelio. "Not long ago, I was sitting in the audience as a parent feeling that pride for my children. Your parents, grandparents and families feel that pride today for you. It's an awesome feeling."
"Holy Cross is rooted in the tradition of shaping hearts and minds," said Katherine Flaherty '17 in her Student Address. "Our minds are shaped here. Our school provided us with an environment where we could learn from our teachers, our coaches, our Presidents and most importantly, each other....Our educated hearts and minds contribute to how we live our everyday lives; how we treat ourselves and other people around us."
"We are a community of faith," said President, Margaret Leger in her Congratulatory Address. "We are teachers and students together, experiencing prayer and fellowship, where we grow in our commitment to God, one another, the church and the local community."
Mrs. Leger addressed the graduates on the value and importance of relationships and bonds formed during their time on Oronoke Road. She also urged the Class of 2017 to cultivate a significant life and "to live from your heart and go forward with compassion and enthusiasm in all that you choose to do."
Several students were honored during the ceremony including:
- Gillian Russo '17 and Andrea Pettinico '17 received the Valedictorian and Salutatorian Award for maintaining the highest and second-highest grade point average, respectively.
- Emma Gargano '17 was the recipient of The Sister Margaret Bannon, CND Service Award, presented annually to the senior girl who has demonstrated outstanding service to the school community.
- Jonathan Barney '17 was the recipient of The Holy Cross Fathers' Club Award, given each year to the senior boy who has demonstrated the most service to the school community.
- Enadi Pasholli '17 was the recipient of the Holy Cross Mothers' Club Award, presented annually to the senior boy who has demonstrated the most academic improvement from freshman to senior year.
- Sarah Lawton '17 was the recipient of The Monsignor Flanagan Award, presented each year to the female student who has improved the most academically from freshman to senior year.
- Ian Denault '17 was awarded with an Army ROTC Scholarship in the amount of $140,000. Ian will attend Norwich University School of Engineering as a member of the Corps of Cadets.
- Hunter Albee was given an honorary In Memoriam diploma.
The graduates of the Class of 2017 include: Catherine Barber, Anthony Barbino, Jonathan Barney, Juliana Battaglia, Brittany Belden, Gregory Belton, Jr., Justin Blake, Renata Blue, Matthew Bonvicini, Richard Borecki, Emily Bowler, Diondre Brown, Ava Calabrese, Jillian Campbell, Jacob Carella, Caroline Carew, Jennifer Carroll, Allison Catalano, Cydney Caterino, Elena Cavallo, Marie Cayabyab, Mira Chartier, Matthew Cipriano, Megan Coe, Simon Corbett, Thomas Cunniff, Hayley Cuttitta, Paulo DaCosta, Antonio D'Amelio, Aubry DeFoe, Ian Denault, John DiFrancesco, Siena Errichetti, Alyssa Famiglietti, Lia Fiore, Katherine Flaherty, Christopher Flynn, Jonathan Frageau, Michelina Gagliardi, Jacob Gagnon, Lucy Gallagher, Jianxian Gao, Emma Gargano, Hayley Gilmore, Gabrielle Goldman, Taylor Green, Corey Grohs, Andrew Gumprecht, Kyla Hamilton, Bryan Hardy, Nicholas Hernandez, Ryan Hickey, Rosellyn Hill, Isabella Ilievski, Noah Jensen, Xiaoyu Ji, Michael Keating, Caitlin Kelly, Jason King, Sarah Lawton, Matthew Lefevre, DezhenLiu, Desteny Lopez, Jingyu Lu, Andrea Madrid, Griffin Maloney, Alexander Marshall, Maegan McGrenery, Patrick McMahon, Zachary Mehlin, Brianna Meiklem, Idalis Miranda, Leandro Mongelluzzo, Anthony Monteiro, Donovan Montville, Warren Morrison, Anthony Muchiri, Gavin Nealon, Tess Oatley, Allison Orsini, Isabella Parker, Enadi Pasholli, Andrea Pettinico, Nicholas Phillips, Gregory Picard, Isabel Plant, Jack Potter, Leanne Raymond, Adam Razza, Samantha Riback, Donato Rosales, Gillian Russo, Marcos Scarpa, PhilServa, Marina Setaro, Julia Sheetz, Jessica Shepack, Danning Shi, Clare Sullivan, Wen Kai Tao, Diogo Taveira, Dimitri Thompson, Nevya Vermette, Marc Verrier, Meghan Villano, Ziyue Wang, Jack Ward, Alicia Westberg, Taevian Whitehead, Zhigi Xiao & Shangjin Zhong.